Special Morale & Welfare Program
Non-Appropriated Funds (NAFs) are contributed to SM&W for the overall morale of the military community on Hill AFB IAW AFMAN 34-201. Expenditures from this fund must follow established guidelines, be conservative in nature, be in the best interest of the Air Force, benefit the military community, and are available regardless of rank and/or level of personnel.
- SM&W must be requested and approved at minimum 2 weeks in advance.
- Reimbursement is provided with presentation of original receipt(s).
- AFMC established guidelines for expenditure of SM&W funds.
- Requests must be submitted to 75FSS.FSRBL@us.af.mil or at Bldg. 180, second floor, room 200, NAF Accounting Office.
What do these funds help with?
- Retirements: Active Duty and DoD Civilians are eligible
- Change of Commands: Light refreshments following change of command ceremonies for incoming commanders are authorized.
- Commander’s Call: Commanders may hold a commander’s call once a quarter. Limits are $3.00 per person not to exceed $200 and may be used for light refreshments.
- Promotion Parties will be executed at the installation level and held at The Landing. Promotion parties will be held in conjunction with First Friday for ranks E1-E4 and O1-O3 while ranks higher will be in conjunction with promotion release dates.
Common reasons SM&W reimbursements are not made:
- Refreshments include a meat and cheese tray or items that were purchased in order to build a meal. SM&W cover light refreshments (nonalcoholic beverages, desserts, or snacks). Some items that are not reimbursed include pies, nuts, granola bars, or jerky. See the FAQ below for more specific guidelines of “light refreshments”.
- Request submitted after event date. SM&W expenditures must be requested and approved in advance per AFMAN 34-201, para 126.96.36.199.
- The spouse of the retiree is authorized to receive flowers for $20 or less. If the item exceeds $20, then the rest is personal expense. SM&W does not reimburse tax.
- Tax paid at off base facilities. SM&W does not reimburse tax.
Unit Parties & Picnics
The 75th Force Support Squadron is authorized to fund organizational parties and picnics using non-appropriated funds (NAFs), see AFMAN 34-201. In accordance with the AFMAN, care must be exercised to assure all eligible personnel, to the extent possible, are able to attend and the basic needs of the Morale Welfare and Recreation program are being met. Requests must be submitted to 75FSS.FSRBL@us.af.mil. (at least 2 weeks in advance)
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, if the flag/guidon is being retired you may authorize as a memorial observance, using rule 19 (reference SM&W Guidelines Resource), not to exceed $100.
No, total cost is not to exceed $20. It is not just the SM&W share, but the total price. SM&W expenditure authority may not be combined with other funds to purchase a more expensive item. The purchase of wrapping paper, gift boxes, bows, or any other item that gives the appearance of a gift from SM&W is prohibited.
Does size matter when it comes to muffins/bagels? Can cream cheese be reimbursed if bagels are purchased?
Currently light refreshments are defined as nonalcoholic beverages, desserts, or snacks. Alcoholic beverages of any kind, meals, buffets, banquets, smorgasbords, and heavy hors d’oeuvres are excluded. Keeping this in mind and the general rule of conservatism, the items and amount provided per person, there is some leeway in the items provided. The cream cheese purchase to accompany the muffins/bagels could be authorized.
Yes. A NAF employee is a federal government (DoD) employee and has the same entitlement as an APF employee.
Yes. The spouse is authorized flowers and cannot go over the $20 limit. Mementos or gifts are no longer authorized reimbursements.
No. They are not authorized under SM&W rules.
No, SM&W cannot be used to host a post CUI inspection party. Unit funds could be used for this type of event, as authorized per installation rules/guidance.
Nonalcoholic beverages (i.e. coffee, tea, milk, juice, punch, soft drinks, water), yogurts, pastries, bagels, fruit/vegetable/cheese and cracker trays, pretzels, cookies, chips, dips, cake, and muffins. The cost of light refreshments may include the cost of disposable serving ware (i.e. paper napkins, disposable forks, cups, and plates) and any club or other MWR activity service charge, delivery fee, or set-up fee. The purchase of china, silverware/flatware, tablecloths, plates, glasses, punch bowls and cups, chafing dishes, serving trays, coffee urns, etc, from MWR is prohibited.
To contact 75 FSS/FSR, send an e-mail to 75FSS.FSRBL@us.af.mil when you have a SM&W or Unit picnic request for specific guidance, or call (801) 586-0399.
7285 4th Street Bldg. 180, Room 200
How are we doing?
Fill out a survey on NAF Accounting here.
Tips to Help Your Request Go Smoothly
- Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind as you submit your request.
- Most important: Contact 75 FSS/FSR, DSN 586-0399 or send an e-mail to 75FSS.FSRBL@us.af.mil when you have a SM&W request for specific guidance.
- Ensure your request is submitted 2 weeks prior to the function date to ensure plenty of time for the approval process.
- Include as many details as possible such as the type of light refreshment, and/or the number of military and civilians expected to attend.
- Confirm your SM&W request has been approved before spending money.
- Tax cannot be reimbursed. Commissary surcharge is allowed.
- Return all receipts to 75 FSS/FSR (NAF Accounting Office Bldg 180, second floor, Room 200) for reimbursement before noon within one month after the event.